Certain foods can damage your braces – so you need to be extra careful when choosing foods throughout your treatment.
Here are some foods that you can’t, and can, have while wearing braces. And remember, if you have any questions, just ask us … before you bite into something that might end up causing a problem with your braces:
Foods to avoid with braces:
- Chewy foods — bagels, licorice
- Crunchy foods — popcorn, ice, hard chips
- Sticky foods — caramel candies, chewing gum
- Hard foods — nuts, hard candies, Doritos
- Foods that require biting into — corn on the cob, apples, carrots
Foods you CAN eat with braces:
- Dairy — soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Breads — soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins without nuts
- Grains — pasta, soft cooked rice
- Meats/poultry — soft cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood — tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables — mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits — applesauce, bananas, fruit juice
- Treats — ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, soft cake
USE COMMON SENSE!
Anything too hard or crunchy will break brackets, loosen bands, and bend wires. These problems can cause longer treatment time as well as unfavorable tooth movement. Accidents happen! If you do break a bracket, something is loose or poking you call the office to make an emergency appointment. If your emergency happens after office hours, call our office and will be put in touch with someone ‘on call’.